The Wild Foodies of Philly
   In search of the food beneath our feet!

 



PLANTS WITH POISONOUS PARTS

POISON IVY VINE  all parts & the smoke from burning them
 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron_radicans  Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis is the allergic reaction caused by poison ivy. In extreme cases, a reaction can progress to anaphylaxis. Around 15% to 30% of people have no allergic reaction to urushiol, but most people will have a greater reaction with repeated or more concentrated exposure.

 

POISON OAK VINE – all parts & the smoke from burning them
 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron_diversilobum  …causes itching; then evolves into dermatitis with inflammation, colorless bumps, severe itching, and blistering… leafless branches and twigs contact also causes allergic reactions…extremely hazardous, from wildfires, controlled burns, or disposal fires. The smoke can poison people … Branches used to toast food over campfires can cause reactions internally and externally

STAR OF BETHLEHEM  - bulbs most toxic part

Ornithogalum umbellatum germany.jpghttp://novascotia.ca/museum/poison/?section=species&id=101 POISON TYPE - Glycosides in wild hyacinth, star-of-Bethlehem, and lily of the valley. Alkaloids in Indian hellebore, autumn crocus, and tulips. While Indian hellebore, autumn crocus, and lily of the valley have, or have had, medicinal uses, all of these plants can be dangerous or fatal if ingested in large doses.


 

MISTLETOE – all parts toxic, grows in trees, visible in winter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoradendron_leucarpum Ingesting the berries can cause "stomach and intestinal irritation with diarrhea, lowered blood pressure, and slow pulse".

 http://www.hiltonpond.org/thisweek051208.html
https://www.allianceforthebay.org/2017/12/mistletoe-a-merry-parasite

WHITE HELLEBORE / FALSE HELLEBORE – looks like the edible hosta

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/False%20Hellebore.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veratrum_viride
 The plant is highly toxic, causing nausea and vomiting. If the poison is not evacuated, cold sweat and vertigo appears. Respiration slows, cardiac rhythm and blood pressure falls, eventually leading to death.

 

ARROW ARUM – root toxic, if eaten raw
 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peltandra_virginica  The plant contains calcium oxalate crystals, making it unpalatable. Native Americans used most parts of the plant for food, however, cooking it for hours first to make it safe to eat.
http://www.eattheweeds.com/peltandra-virginica-starch-storer-2/  It’s a plant with a rhizome laced with a toxin though the Indians knew how to get rid of.
 

JACK-IN-THE-PULPIT – all parts toxic

https://backyardsafari.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/lessons-from-an-edible-plant/   The plant contains calcium oxalate crystals as raphides in all parts, and because of this consumption of the raw plant material results in a powerful burning sensation. It can cause irritation of the mouth and digestive system, and on rare occasions the swelling of the mouth and throat may be severe enough to affect breathing.If the plant is properly dried or cooked it can be eaten as a root vegetable. A preparation of the root was reported to have been used by Native Americans as a treatment for sore eyes. Preparations were also made to treat rheumatism, bronchitis, and snakebites, as well as to induce sterility.

POISON SUMAC – all parts irritant to skin (edible cousin – Staghorn Sumac) white flowers in spring, white berries in fall

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron_vernix All parts of the plant contain a resin called urushiol that causes skin and mucous membrane irritation to humans. When burned, inhalation of the smoke may cause the rash to appear on the lining of the lungs, causing extreme pain and possibly fatal respiratory difficulty. http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/food/poisonousplants/poisonsumac
 

 

 

NIGHTSHADE / HORSE NETTLE  - all parts toxic
 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_carolinense While ingesting any part of the plant can cause fever, headache, scratchy throat, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, ingesting the fruit can cause abdominal pain, circulatory and respiratory depression, or even death.

 
BITTER NIGHTSHADE – avoid all parts, berry toxic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_dulcamara The fruit is an ovoid red berry about 1 cm long, soft and juicy, with the aspect and odor of a tiny tomato, and edible for some birds, which disperse the seeds widely. However, the berry is poisonous to humans and livestock, and the berry's attractive and familiar look make it dangerous for children.

CANADIAN MOONSEED – all parts toxic, no tendrils as with edible grapevines, half-moon seeds, unlike round grape seeds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menispermum_canadense   All parts of these plants are known to be poisonous. The principal toxin is the alkaloid dauricine. The fruit of Canada Moonseed are poisonous and can be fatal.

WISTERIA – most parts toxic, seeds can be fatal, flowers are edible

 

http://www.eattheweeds.com/wisteria-criteria-2/

Wiseria’s multiple personality continues with edibility. The blossoms of the plant are edible raw or cooked. The rest of the plant is toxic per se. In fact, as little as two raw seeds can kill a child. That is not uncommon for a member of the pea family which ranges from edible to toxic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisteria_frutescens
 

DOGBANE – all parts toxic, except perhaps seeds (see below), looks like milkweed, but woody & multi-stemmed
 

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocynum_cannabinum All parts of the plant are poisonous and can cause cardiac arrest if ingested.

http://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Apocynum+cannabinum   Seeds are edible? 

GREATER CELENDINE  - all parts toxic, orange-yellow latex sap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelidonium  The whole plant is toxic in moderate doses as it contains a range of isoquinoline alkaloids but there are numerous therapeutic uses when used at the correct dosage.

 http://www.botanical-online.com/english/celandine_poisonous.htm Yes, celandine is a toxic plant. It contains a corrosive caustic juice, and it is rich in toxic alkaloids. Its medicinal use must be carefully controlled . It is Not recommended for internal use.

 
JIMSON WEED/ THORN APPLE  - all parts toxic

 

 


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium 
All parts of Datura plants contain dangerous levels of the tropane alkaloids atropine, hyoscyamine, and scopolamine, which are classified as deliriants, or anticholinergics. The risk of fatal overdose is high among uninformed users, and many hospitalizations occur amongst recreational users who ingest the plant for its psychoactive effects.
 

YEW BUSH / TREE – most parts toxic, except red sweet flesh that surrounds its highly toxic black seed

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxus_baccata Symptoms of yew poisoning include an accelerated heart rate, muscle tremors, convulsions, collapse, difficulty breathing, circulation impairment and eventually heart failure. However, there may be no symptoms, and if poisoning remains undetected death may occur within hours. Fatal poisoning in humans is very rare, usually occurring after consuming yew foliage. The leaves are more toxic than the seed.

 

POISON HEMLOCK- KNOW THIS PLANT! All parts highly toxic.
 

Closely resembles wild carrot, but stalks are smooth, not fuzzy, with maroon spots.  A biennial, it sends up its stalk the second year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conium_maculatum

 

 

 

WATER HEMLOCK   KNOW THIS PLANT!  All parts highly toxic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicuta ...Upon consumption, both in humans and other species, the symptoms of poisoning are mainly characterized by generalized seizures. The onset of symptoms following ingestion may be as soon as 15 minutes post ingestion. Initial symptoms reported may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, tremors, confusion, weakness, dizziness, and drowsiness;although the rapid onset of seizure activity may be the first sign presented following poisoning.

GIANT HOGWEED, GIANT COW PARSNIP – highly toxic
 

Riesenbaerenklau4.jpg Heracleum mantegazzianum 05.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleum_mantegazzianum - The sap of giant hogweed causes phytophotodermatitis in humans, resulting in blisters, long-lasting scars, and—if it comes in contact with eyes—blindness. These serious reactions are due to the furocoumarin derivatives in the leaves, roots, stems, flowers, and seeds of the plant.

 

HORSE CHESTNUT TREE – all parts toxic, looks like Chestnut
 

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesculus_hippocastanum#Medical_uses Raw Horse Chestnut seed, leaf, bark and flower are toxic due to the presence of esculin and should not be ingested. Horse chestnut seed is classified by the FDA as an unsafe herb. The glycoside and saponin constituents are considered toxic.